Thursday, November 1, 2012

Take Your Own Advice

At the start of the week I was asked by a neighboring school district to come over and visit with them about educational technology, which both flattered me and pleased me.  One thing that helped me look forward to it was they are good friends as well as professional friends.  We spent about 2 1/2 hours visiting and I showed them my favorite tools that are available and free.

They are considering an iPad 1:1 initiative and wanted to know what tools they should start their teachers with.  The superintendent kept saying we need a plan to implement, so we discussed that, since I had been at a school that had a 1:1 laptop program.  To be honest we had taken a "Ready, Fire, Aim" approach, but things turned out very well for us, even though we probably could have provided more PD than we did.  Our teachers really came on board, and it proved to be a great initiative.

I got to thinking about a plan for them later that day and into the night.  So the next morning I sent them an email detailing what I would do if I were them.  Then it hit me, at my current district our sophomores have been given laptops, because we are using an ebook for biology.  I have thought this is step one for us to become a 1:1 school.  So why don't I implement my plan in my district?  I then came under the thought that sometimes you need to take your own advice.

Really looking forward to EdCampKC next weekend and reconnecting with friends that teach me so much about this ever changing world of education.  It will be a great time, thanks to all that have a hand in putting this on.

No comments:

Post a Comment