Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Starting Over

I began my new job yesterday, I am still a superintendent just at a different district.  Yesterday was busy with the unpacking and getting my office organized, going over what I expect from the ladies in the office that I work with, and taking care of normal day to day operations.  Today we do the budget and we will be off and running, now we just have to find a place to live in Arma, and the move will be official.

The only negative I have heard from folks is having to start over at another district.  To be honest I have embraced this and not viewed it as a negative at all, it has really energized me.  I think the primary reasons for this is starting over does take work and energy, but the move has really energized me.  I can't wait to share what I've learned being a superintendent at another district and what I've learned from social media, specifically twitter.

We are just breaking the surface technology wise here at Northeast but I do believe the district is ready to get on board with the tools and teaching aids that technology provides, and I do believe this helped me get the job.  Several teachers heard my presentation at a tech conference this summer, and have shared that I should give the presentation the first day our teachers come back, which I am now considering.  One even said it inspired her to research on her own about available tools to assist her instruction.

I know there will be some bumps in the road, and some naysayers, but that is not going to deter me from our ultimate goal which is improved student learning.  I look forward to the challenges ahead and like I have said before at my age I don't have time for people to come along slowly, lets get on the bus and go.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    You don't know me, but I received a tweet about this post via @DrJolly, so I thought I'd comment to let you know many people will see your post!
    I don't envy you in your position - I'd rather stay in the classroom. But I see that you have a good outlook on your new place of employment. Can I offer you advice? If teachers are asking yu to present, please do. It sounds like they are asking you to teach them something they believe is relevant to their teaching, and we need that at the beginning of the school year - and throughout the year! PD in each district is so diverse, but I've learned that if you listen to suggestions, teachers think you value their opinions.
    There's my two cents - I'm sure you'll get more, now that you're published in your new district! Enjoy the ride!!
    Sincerely,
    -@JoyKirr

    ReplyDelete