Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Never Again

In my previous posts I have let people know my age (which isn't young) or referenced how I wish I had discovered twitter earlier in my educational career (which is still true).  I have also used the phrase at the end of my career.  Sounds like I'm using age as an excuse, and I guess that would be the case.

While at ISTE this past June I had the pleasure of meeting a couple of men I greatly admire from reading their blogs.  Both are in the same age range as myself, and I eluded to my age and how I wish I'd started this at a younger age.  One of the gentlemen then stated, "you're never to old to make a difference in the life of a kid."  I will never forget that statement, as long as I live, if I'd been hit in the face with a sledgehammer it wouldn't have knocked me back any more.  What a powerful statement at least for me.

So here is my charge, the district I'm in charge of leading might need to tape their ankles because we are "going to make a difference in the lives of our kids."  It matters not how close I am or am not to the end of my career I will take the approach I have an infinite number of years left in this business.  From this day forward I will NEVER AGAIN use age or length of time in education as any kind of excuse for anything.  Twitter and the connections I've made have invigorated me and my career no matter what stage of it I'm in.

By the way does anyone want to come and mow the yard of an old guy?

6 comments:

  1. Very well put, Greg! And timely as well. Today is my birthday, and while I won't advertise my age, it is safe for all to assume that I am in the middle, rather than the beginning of my life experiences. I appreciate the reminder that no matter how old/young we are- the time to make a difference is RIGHT NOW. No excuses- just action. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing, I have never considered retirement (this is year 20 for me). When did you start to think about it? I pay to have my yard mowed, best spent money ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess when you see others your age retire, it starts the thought process, or when you reach the big 60, as I have. To be honest though my wife can't and as long my health remains good I really enjoy what I do, so why retire now?

      Delete
  3. Greg, age is only a number and does not need to be a state of mind! We can make a difference at any age. Often age provides patience, which is VERY helpful in education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for your comments don't think I got the speakpipe done properly, all this new fangled stuff for us elderly to figure out.

      Delete
  4. I think the opposite is true too. Anyone can use anything as an excuse. As a somewhat newbie teacher about to start my fifth year, I struggle with others' opinions of me and lack of experience but want the knowledge that comes with it. That's why mentoring and the PLN are so important! Thank you twitter!

    ReplyDelete